Boot Camp Blues

A free-form writing forum set in the Star Wars Universe...

Moderators: VagueDurin, Nichalus

Master of the Ninja Post

Re: Boot Camp Blues

Post by Halomek »

“I would expect nothing less from one of the top students at Beruss,” Mogon assured her. “If this is the dance I think it is though… do you think it might be too much for your friend? She doesn’t seem to have had as much experience dancing as you.”

“Oh, Clara won’t disappoint,” Isis answered him. “She challenges me, I challenge her. It’s what we do.”

Mogon smiled and faced Isis, waiting for the music to start. “Then there’s no holding back I take it?”

Isis returned his smile. “Not on your life.”

Clara was keenly aware that aside from Isis and Mogon, she and Rhan were the only other people on the dance floor. Everyone else had moved back to give them room. It was precisely what Clara didn’t want to have happen, but there was no backing out now – not after Isis had thrown down the gauntlet. She’d never be able to live it down.

Clara looked at Rhan. “How good of a dancer are you, anyway? Do you know what Sis is planning on doing?”
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

It was some time after the song had ended and the audience had applauded their approval that Isis and her friends found themselves standing in a group off to one side of the dance floor. Isis had a deep frown on her face and was trying unsuccessfully to hide her irritation. "Clara, some times I hate you," she grumbled, "Do you have any idea how long it took me to learn that dance? And here you go and pick it up in minutes!"

Clara indeed had done very well surprisingly. It was rough for her at first but with Rhan's guidance she managed to keep up. Isis and Mogon had of course danced it masterfully, but not even that was enough to make her feel better. It irritated her that Clara had picked it up so easily even though Rhan most likely had to tell her what to do next. She stamped her foot and let out a frustrated sigh then marched purposefully over to the buffet table. "I need a drink."
Master of the Ninja Post

Post by Halomek »

Clara followed her over to the table. “Oh, don’t be such a sore winner, Sis,” she admonished her. “It’s not like I danced circles around you. I was struggling just to keep up. You clearly beat me.”
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

"It's not that, Clara, it's just...," she paused suddenly and sheepishly averted her eyes. "It came so natural to you," she muttered under her breath.
Master of the Ninja Post

Post by Halomek »

“Well, I do pay attention a lot more than you do when it comes to learning things, but what I did out there was hardly natural,” Clara said with a smirk. “I had to stay focused the entire time just to make sure I didn’t trip over my own feet. You made it look natural, Sis. I didn't know how long I was going to be able to keep up with you.”
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

That made her feel a little bit better. She was trying very hard to make an impression after all. The assembled guests seemed to appreciate it so maybe she should just be happy. "Let's go back," she said finally and she gave Clara a sly look, "I bet your date's just dying to get to know you."
Master of the Ninja Post

Post by Halomek »

A shadow seemed to fall across Clara’s face. “He’s not my date and he can die all he wants. I’ve already got somebody, but I can’t seem to get that through Kent’s skull.”

“So,” Isis summed up with an impish smile, “you just used him then? You are a quick learner.”

“I…” Clara started to object, then closed her mouth when she realized she had nothing to counter with.

“Yes?” Isis asked with mock-sweetness.

Clara put a hand to her face. “You’re pure evil sometimes, you know that? Poor Moggy doesn’t know what he’s gotten himself into.”
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

The party wound down and much to Clara's relief it eventually ended. The girls were all too happy to finally be back at the hotel and ready for bed. Clara was all set to sleep until next week, but much to her dismay she was awakened merely an hour after dawn. The sun had just barely began to illuminate the courtyard outside but Clara's view of the window was blocked by Isis leaning over her bed.

"Wake up, sleepy head, we have a date out on the court, remember?" Isis told her.

Clara groaned and rolled onto her side away from Isis. "I wish you wouldn't call it that."

"What else would I call it," Isis teased her, "Now hurry up and get dressed. I can't very well play doubles without a partner."

Isis turned and hurried into the 'fresher to get ready. She didn't realize how excited she was until she woke up this morning and part of her had to wonder why. Mogon was just another navy officer, she'd seen hundreds of them. Still, the way he complimented her during the dance... Honestly she was just surprised he agreed to play padball with her today and since Isis was too nervous to play alone she conned Clara into joining them. Which of course led to Rhan joining them for the game as well since Clara needed a partner. Isis almost felt bad throwing them together again and again like this--almost.
Master of the Ninja Post

Post by Halomek »

“You’re supposed to be able to sleep in on your vacation,” Clara grumbled to herself as she got up and stretched. She wasn’t any stranger to getting up early in the morning, but after the stress of trying not to embarrass herself at the party, she had been looking forward to a late morning.

She had been hoping that Isis had agreed to the padball game just to be polite. Certainly, the only reason Clara had agreed to it was because she had been anxious to leave. It wouldn’t have been the first time that Isis had made plans with some boy only to blow them off because she didn’t feel like going anymore. Clara had been anticipating that it would be the same deal this time, but there was clearly something more to Mogon than just a passing interest.

She was happy for her friend, but dreading the… date.

The traditional women’s garb for padball was a shirt and skirt combo, but there was no way Clara planned on wearing that - especially with Rhan around. Instead she chose a pair of shorts and shirt over a sport’s bra.

As Isis stepped out of the refresher, Clara crossed her arms. “I suppose it doesn’t matter that I’ve never played padball.”

“Really?” Isis asked in surprise. “You’re the queen of sports.”

“Yeah… well… it never looked challenging enough for my tastes,” Clara conceded.

“Translation: you never played because it’s not a contact sport,” Isis said for her with a smile. “Don’t worry. Knowing you, you’ll get the hang of it pretty quickly.”

Clara stuck her hands in her pockets. “All I’m saying is that you owe me for this, Sis. I’ve already had enough of Kent to last a lifetime.”